Thursday, May 31, 2012

Flat Daddy

Let me introduce to you the inspiration for this blog. The following post is by Sherrie Burton.  Taylor and Sherrie have been married for 12 years. Taylor has been in the US Navy for 13. They have 2 most adorable boys, Mackay and Easton. They have been on 5 duty stations, faced 3 deployments and are about to face their 4th.  I am so excited we are working together on this. 

P.S- if anyone has a story, experience, or something to share, PLEASE do so!  We welcome guest bloggers.




Allow me to introduce Flat Daddy! 
'He' is a bit strange, and his head is rather large, but he 
(it, I don't really know what to call it :))
is a deployment must have. 

My boys hauled him everywhere, and I mean everywhere. Flat Daddy went to soccer games, school, and swim lessons. We went to Washington DC for spring break and guess who we dragged along? He attended birthday parties, family reunions, church- we even hauled him through the airport and on a plane with us. 



Last year we faced our 3rd deployment, but it was our 1st with kids. I prepared for months, I read hundreds of blogs, I listened to anyone and everyone who would share their deployment stories, I was armed and ready to go.




Twenty four hours after he left, it all blew up in my face! My 6 year old refused to talk about it. When my husband called or Skyped, he would say "hi" and then walk away. I let it go for a few days thinking he just needed time to be sad and process.
Wrong. It was a good 2 or 3 weeks before he would talk about Dad and a little longer before he would talk to his Dad. Everyone said to just give it time. It broke my heart, it was hard to watch Dad and son struggle and not really know how to help. 


And then Flat Daddy showed up and the kids thought it was the best thing ever!
They LOVED it and it helped smooth the rough transition. Yes, it was still hard that he was gone, you can't replace 'squishy Daddy' but it lightened the mood around here and provided a lot of laughs.  







 

The boys liked to put Flat Daddy in the window, "so he can watch us play Mom". 
And one more than one occasion he would sit and watch Mickey Mouse. 
Flat Daddy was well loved, it's possible that he was loved too much. His head came off about 10 days before the end of deployment but it was worth every penny!








Make sure you order a good 2 months before you need him. 


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment