Saturday, May 26, 2012

They don't have to miss everything!

My son, Kevin (aka Joey), completed Kindergarten this year.  You can only imagine what a proud moment it was for us.  He struggled a lot during the first half of the year.  His teachers were really concerned about his progress and recommended some extra help for him.  After he got the help he needed and Kevin and I understood what we needed to do to help him, he started getting A's and B's by March.  When he completed Kindergarten this last week, he received the Golden Award for STRAIGHT A's!!! VERY proud moment.

But, there has to be opposition in all things, right?  Kevin deployed to the Middle East early this Spring.  So yes, he was not physically here for the graduation.  Do I mention that we he wasn't physically here?  But he was able to watch the whole thing.  Skype Baby!  Its an amazing tool!

We were able to skype Kevin in.  I didn't tell Joey because I wanted to make sure we connected and the time change would be in our favor.  But, it worked.  Joey walked in with his sweet little class.  I was holding up my most amazing iPhone and there was Daddy!  The joy on Joey's face- I mean, I cannot even describe it.  It was amazing!  He immediately told all his friends that Daddy was there.  It brought tears to many eyes.  Where is Lifetime Network when you need it?


Kevin was able to listen to the whole ceremony, cheer loudly for his son, and make his day.

Yes it is sad that our spouses are gone during these special moments, but we are so incredibly blessed to have modern technology. I mean can you imagine being a military spouse during WWII or even WWI?  Wait...what about about the Civil War?  Communication was so difficult if even possible.

Now our husbands can text us from their emails, they can get on FB if possible, they can Skype, they can face time, our FRO's set up teleconferences with them, free mail.  We have it good.  We have it hard, but its still good and can be worst.

I hope you get to communicate with your hubby often.  Here are a few ways you can do so.

Skype- Video Chat, call phones, Instant Message

Magic Jack- I don't know much about this, but its supposed to be free local and long distance calling. I know a few spouses who use it.

USPS- Here you can find a phone number where you can get a Military Kit for Priority Mail shipping

MOTOMAIL- Like regular mail, MotoMail produces a folded, sealed letter to the Marine, secure end-to-end for both text and photo.  Yes this says for Marine, but USN, USA, and USAF personnel co-located with US Marines can receive MotoMail.  Free to use. I will do more research to find out free mail for other branches.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment