Monday, May 28, 2012

The Moggles

Are you a Harry Potter fan? I am!  I wish I was a wizard!  So sad those books are over :-( Anyways... I will focus now.

Sometimes, we get so involved in our military lifestyle that we forget about our friends that are Moggles or Civilians :-)  I don't feel like they get enough credit for what they do for US.

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I attend what we call wards that are designated by where you live.  In many of the wards that we have lived in, we either have 90% be Military families or we are the minority.  But never have we ever felt left out or unappreciated.  I remember in Milton, FL when we were in Flight School, when we said we were a military family, the greeter at the door was so excited to have us.  Then they asked us if we played the piano.  That poor ward had so much turn over they couldn't keep a good piano player.  Anyways... you would think because of that turnover they would get disappointed to have another family that would leave in six months, so why bother getting to know them.  On the contrary!!! They immediately put us to work serving our counterparts, thanked us for our service, and took care of our children when we needed the help.

Andrea Smith, Sophia, Me and Joey (WDW 2011)
Here in Yuma, my civilian friends are my Heavenly Sisters.  Andrea Smith and her family stepped up ten fold during Kevin's first deployment.  She watched my kids whenever I needed her to. She and I were training for a marathon during that time.  I would spend the night at her house and her and her hubby went on date night. The next morning, we were up at 5am to run 20 miles.  Guess who watched 5 kids under the age of 6?  Her husband, the tough US Marshall.  We call him Officer Smith.




Dixie, Aiden, Sadee, Joey, Emma, and I
Jessica Peterson came and helped my while I had a procedure done so that I can carry my child full term.  Emily Rigby sends me encouraging texts and both her and her husband check on us numerous times.  Tiffany Johnson watches my kids. No questions asked.  Megan Butler and her husband either help me with my kids, feed me dinner, or are just there when I need a break.  Dixie Meldrum sends me cupcakes from my favorite Sweet Tooth Fairy in Utah.
Emily and Jessica

Emily (USAF), Me, and Megan Butler


I can keep going at naming all these amazing people that help me.  And I am sorry if I missed any. Of course my immediate family is an amazing support group, but my family lives in NYC and Kevin's family is spread out between 3 states.  So our friends become our family because they are physically here.  Until we can be with our family again.

So what is my point?  The point is... don't lay your eggs all in one basket.  Reach out to those whom you go to school with, go to church with, city sports, anybody that you meet out there in your many many, many, many, moves!  They are all willing to help you.  They are all grateful for all that you do.  They too can be a great source of comfort.

I know... what do they know about having a husband gone 9 months at a time?  Who cares!!! Just let them help.  Some of my civilian friends have husbands who are gone weeks at a time, some work 12 hour days, some are single parents.  Don't judge a book by its cover.  Let them help you as you would help them if asked.

I love my Civilian friends and I would do anything for them!  Thank you for all that you do for me! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment